In addition to its teaching activities, the Department of Sport Science has a strong focus on applications, evaluation, and basic research in sport science and sport economics. The department‘s considerable third-party funding (2014-2016: 996,000 euros) is certainly one reason for its leading position among German institutes of Sport Science (in 2015 it was ranked 4th).
Topics researched in extensive third-party projects include talent development, health promotion, doping, and sport governance. Aside from the individual research projects by the various departments and groups, we also contribute to the University of Bayreuth’s focus areas, its cross-faculty research priorities.
Involvement in the University of Bayreuth’s focus areas:
- Governance & Responsibility, Prof. Dr. M. Kurscheidt (Sport Science II)
- Food & Health Sciences, Prof. Dr. W. Schmidt (Sport Science IV), Prof. Dr. S. Tittlbach (Sport Science III)
- Nonlinear Dynamics, Prof. Dr. A. Hohmann (Sport Science I)
- Ecology & the Environmental Sciences, Dr. V. Audorff (Sport Science I)
- Innovation & Consumer Protection, Prof. Dr. H. Woratschek (Marketing & Service Management)